From Cairo to the Cloud was produced, directed, and filmed by award-winning filmmaker, Michelle Paymar. Her independent work has screened at festivals around the world and she has extensive credits as a director and writer of documentary and non-fiction television programs for NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, CBC, MTV, CTV, Travel, Discovery, History, and other major broadcasters.
Her production company, D-Facto Filmstudio, makes independent documentaries and promotional films for nonprofits and NGOs. Clients include Amnesty International (Canada), Alzheimer's Services of the East Bay (California), and the Ayubowan Women's Project (Sri Lanka). Earlier films include her pioneering AIDS documentary, For Our Lives, and Sippie, a documentary about classic blues artist Sippie Wallace (Co-Directed with Roberta Grossman).
She received a Master of Fine Arts degree in Film Directing from the American Film Institute and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of California, Berkeley. Paymar is a member of the International Documentary Association and Women in Film.
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
- CINE Golden Eagle
- Columbus International Film Festival, Silver Chris Award
- Chicago International Film Festival, Silver Hugo
- US International Film & Video Festival, Gold Camera Award
- Videographer Award of Excellence
- New York Film Festivals, Silver
- Aurora Awards, Best of Show for Documentary
- Berkeley Film Festival, Best of Festival for Documentary
- Summit Creative Award, Gold
- Worldfest International Film Festival, Silver & Bronze
- National Endowment for the Humanities Grantee